1 & 2. Many polymers occur in nature. Name any two naturally occurring polymers.
_____________ and _____________
3 & 4. What will happen when we begin heating each of the polymers below?
a) A thermosetting (polymer).
b) A thermoplastic (polymer).
5 & 6. Name any two properties that you may look for in describing a polymer.
_______________________ and _____________________
7. Describe what is meant by the term "polymer".
8. Look at the molecule below and make it a radical.
9. Below is ethylene, the basic monomer of a common polymer. Write its "Electron Dot" (Lewis) Structure.
10. Below is the monomer, "propylene". Show three monomers, united together to form the polymer polypropylene.
11. "Initiators" begin and may end a polymer chain. As the number of initiators increase in a polymerization, the length of a straight chain will _________ (increase/decrease).
12. "Cross-linkers" are atoms or groups of atoms that will bind chains of polymers together. Name a property of a polymer that will be altered as a result of altering the number of cross-linkers. ____________________
13. As the number of cross-linkers used with any polymer increases, describe how the property from #12 above will be altered.
14. What is meant by the elasticity of a polymer.
15. A rubber band is used around a newspaper. What would be the effect of using this rubber band in the snow in the winter?
16. List two properties you may look for to make either a fishing line or a head band (circle the one to which you are responding ).
a. _________________ and b. ____________